Social Media Generation Social Media Generation

I like both you message and your stile. That you gave proper credit to the original source is also something that became a rare feat amongst authors. After visiting Zenpencils and looking at the original I must say you did a good job animating the scene stills. You have a good feeling for pace and your dubbing came out very nicely.

Surprisingly, what I like the most about this is that many reviewers actually reflect on you message. A good portion of them don't even seem to have Twitter or Facebook accounts - like myself. Over time, I've developed an expectation that, while user's overall reception of critical work such as yours is very positive, most don't 'think' about it. And I'm so very glad I'm not proven right this time.

Apples - Short Animation Apples - Short Animation

Very nice animation. I see not only a moral on greed but also a moral on violence in it.

Your movie reminds me strongly of eyezmaze.com. Is there any connection?

Normero responds:

I love eyezmaze and can't deny that I didn't get inspired by it, but no connection :)

smokin smokin

At first I didn't trust my eyes...

What a great informative flash. Why don't you just make another one about heroin or wait... even better: crack cocaine? You could even use the very same lines and almost the same animation to prove people how great it is...
Don't tell them about all the dark sides like cost, withdrawal symptoms and health issues (to name only a few) - Just tell them about how great it is to share your misery with complete strangers!

The Non-Scary Maze Game 3 The Non-Scary Maze Game 3

Before I really start I have to get some things out of the way: I don't enjoy maze games and might be biased. They are simply not my kind of game, mainly because I get bored by their simple setup. Despite this, I still think your game deserves a review, because it was rather well executed. Okay, let's see now...

You added a mute button. So your game is already superior to 95% of all maze games in existence. Good job! ;) You also spend some thought on the way the movement mechanics work, so players can not cheat their way to the goal. As far as 'true' maze games go, this might be one of the best there are. Overall, the game stands on solid feet. Quality control wise you did a lot of things right such as having a tester and fixing bugs 'before' you publish. Some of the bigger game developing studios could learn from you.
However, I also have some gripes...

Technical bits:
Instructions: The instruction you listed in the Author Comments should also be in the game. Additionally, having "Maze Game" in the title will only tell 'most, but not everybody' what the game is about. It would still be nice if you explained the game mechanics for the inexperienced gamer.
Key Bindings: 0, 1, 2, 3 & 4 aren't really intuitive keys. How about "M" for mute/unmute, "S" (or "H") for show/hide cursor and "R" for the reset option?
Level Select: I don't think the games saves a player's progress. Skilled players 'can' finish it quickly, but a level select on the main menu would spare players that had to close the game for some reason the frustration of having to play everything all over again. Showing the current level number in a corner would help players to tell how far it is to the end and give the whole experience a more professional look. Fancy graphics may be nice, but _effort_ will always show.
'The Bug': Everybody experienced it; everybody knows about it. You added a workaround, but it would still be better for both the players and your personal experience as a developer if you could manage to find a more elegant solution.
Pride: This is only a minor thing to me, but you should show more pride. You made a game and people liked it! You should add credits to the main menu. This would as well be a good place to tell your 'story' and thank your friend that tested the game during the beta phase.

Content:
Level Design: Some levels felt unnecessarily long. Not difficult, just... more 'artificially lengthened' than actually challenging. Speaking of challenge, I noticed that the tunnel bits get reduced to 1 block width rather early on. You worked with different shapes for the most part, but some parts seem to say "I'm just a long tunnel, because the developer had some space left and didn't want the level to be over." The cannons where a good and innovative addition to the level design, but for the most part they only did the same thing, just in different places. It would have been nice if you had invested more innovation in the way you placed them. One setup that immediately comes to mind would be two cannons that alternate shooting down a 2 block hallway that the player has to pass in the direction of the cannons (with a tunnel branching off right before them). The game could also use some other 'obstacles', adding more variety.
Ending: I didn't feel satisfied when I beat the game. Sure, there's a medal, but I don't play games only for the medals, if you can believe that. A single sentence might fit the theme of the game better, but I think I would have preferred something along the lines of "You, <Playername>, are awesome!" than just a notification that the game is done now.
Story: While I can't really blame you for not coming up with a appealing back story for this kind of game, games with even the sketchiest of stories tend to be more rememberable that those without one. Throwing the hero or a princess in a dungeon is often enough to leave 'some' feeling that a player's actions inside the game world matter. And if you let a girl rescue a boy you can score points for originality as well. (Which is still something that is hard for me to wrap my head around: The dark ages are long gone, but still most protagonists in gaming are dudes... What is wrong with you, world?)

Still... All in all you did a pretty good job. It's just that I think some tweaks might have made it 'exceptional'.

Rock On!

Burning building Burning building

I think 'Burning building' is a decent game. However I noticed some things that could be improved, which I'll list in order of how fast they could be fixed:
- The title would look more professional as 'Burning Building'.
- Falling objects don't seem to spawn outside of the upper screen border, resulting in them visually appearing out of nowhere.
- I'm a little concerned that there's no consequence to the player when he doesn't manage to rescue people from the building. I'm sure one of his colleagues will take care of the people he left behind, but there should be a fine of like 25 points or so. This would be an additional motivation for the players to rescue 'harder' targets.
- Players get a Highscore, but no Highscore board. This makes score pretty pointless to a lot of players. Newgrounds provides free boards for developers which you could use. Trust me: A Highscore board really adds some replay value.
- There is no curve in difficulty. If you play the game for a few seconds you already have seen everything the game is ever going to be... Now I'm aware that this is supposed to be a simple game, with easy to understand controls, but that doesn't mean it has to be boring. Since it's still in a very basic state, I don't want to meddle too much with your vision for it, but maybe you should try out different speeds as well as more variation in obstacles. Maybe even different levels where you could use different skins and obstacles altogether.

All this being said, the firemen topic and saving people really speaks to me. I like the topic, the simple controls, as well as that it can be understood by players of all languages and ages with only the tutorial (the arrows that appear when you first play).
There's pause and mute buttons, which far too many submissions here lack. You even went as far as adding separated mute buttons for BGM and SFX, which really is a plus. Still, the music is good and looking for mute wasn't my first concern.
You've created a stable basis and found a good topic to spin your game around, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. Best of luck!

Sci-Fi Runner Sci-Fi Runner

There seems to be no preloader. Newgrounds lets authors download and use their preloaders for free if you can't write one yourself.
The resolution of your game is HUGE, but yet the help texts are so tiny that they are barely noticeable when a player starts the game for the first time. The next few tries he has to focus on the 'new' help text and will most probably die while reading them. Why didn't you just add an "Instructions" button to the menu? You could have easily fitted all those texts on a single screenshot of the game.
There is no indication that your gun needs ammunition. "This is your energy indicator" is open to interpretation - especially since the ammunition is mounted to the lifebar...
Having the 'jump' and 'shoot' buttons on different far ends of the screen means nobody will use the option to click. I'm guessing you have a reason like android application or something, but for a flash game, I don't really see it.
In some other countries the "Z" and "X" keys are not right beside each other. An option to configure the controls would have been nice. (And No: I wouldn't want to use mouse AND keyboard for a game that utilizes only two buttons...)
The player doesn't get any information about the 'other' upgrades (gained from running a certain distance) actually do or that he could get upgrades by covering a certain distance. The screen is HUGE: Why didn't you fill in some headlines and informative texts?
You could have included a highscore board. Newgrounds lets authors use their highscore servers for free.
You forgot to include your story from the author comments in the game itself. Speaking about the story: It seems rather short and you should think about expanding it. Maybe explain where the machines came from or why the character can't stop running...
During gameplay the character isn't recognizable as female (having a ponytail and no beard doesn't make someone female) and there seems to be no screen where the player could have a good look at her face. Thus, describing the character as a "sexy female clone" in the author comments seems like a huge exaggeration.
I needed just a few lousy minutes to make all these observations. I'm guessing making this game took you several days. You should really pay more thought to creating games.

I found no bugs in the gameplay or controls themselves, so that's a plus.

In summary, 'Sci-Fi Runner' is a 'Canabalt' clone where the player can shoot robots and earn upgrades. It has okay controls, average mechanics, decent graphics, a poor tutorial and offers only little long-term motivation. I wouldn't play his again and wouldn't recommend it even to hardcore fans of the genre.

Hazneliel responds:

Your opinion is very constructive, thank you very much explaining the points that I need to fix to make it a better game. I will work soon on fixing it.

About the preloader, when I load it it has a loader screen with the gameĀ“s logo, I dont know what preloader you cant see

Shiawase Shiawase

Oh, the humanity!

When I see this picture, it doesn't leave me unaffected. I feel sadness, helplessness and pity. That's what Art should do, no matter if it's music, a painting or other medium: It should raise emotions and tell the audience something about themselves.

It's from Shadman/TheShadling, so it's labeled "I 'skull' Japan". His stile has always been provoking one way or another.

What honestly bothers me is this: After reading some of the review I feel sorry for those who aren't able to see more in this than a woman's panties. If there's something wrong with someone, then it's these people and they should be shamefaced for being that ignorant...

Sucks to be Luigi: Past Lives Sucks to be Luigi: Past Lives

Sweet sweet misery

A really nice track of thoughts you followed there. Characters as well as background look great and the viewer can really feel Luigis misery. It really gives you a glimpse at the hell that is his life.

And since I'm already typing: We are talking about Characters from a game where the size of peoples heads almost matches with the rest of their bodies... I can't understand why somebody could be so nit-picky.
To me her slopy shoulders, extra eyeliner and haircut were all pointing in the direction of the emo-scene, which only makes sense.

Rikku-FFX-2 Rikku-FFX-2

Just wow!

It took me a while to realize you actually did this by yourself.
I guess you could do this for a living... Oh wait... You already do. XD

arvalis responds:

no i dont, im just an art student